Okra and Tomatoes
2 1/2 cups frozen or fresh okra
4 large plum tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
1 large clove of garlic, minced
2 whole scallions with greens, chopped
Tamari or soy sauce to taste
pinch of sea salt
3 tablespoons olive (or safflower) oil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
a few sprigs of parsley
1) In a large skillet, add enough olive oil to coat the pan; heat to sizzling. Drop in the minced garlic, chopped scallions and pinch of sea salt. Saute till well browned.
2) Add the rest of the oil and the okra. Heat till sizzling and the okra begins to brown.
3) Throw in the halved plum tomatoes and oregano. Continue to saute, stirring occasionally, till the tomatoes are tender and the skins are slightly browned.
4) Cover tightly, turn off the heat and allow to steam for 20 seconds.
Sprinkle with Tamari sauce to taste and garnish with parsley sprigs.
Variations: Top with grated Parmesan (instead of seasoning with Tamari); or sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
This dish goes well served over rice (I recommend an aromatic brown rice), or a whole-grain pasta with some extra virgin olive oil drizzled over.
- Stewed Okra and Tomatoes Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Food …
- Okra with Tomatoes Recipe – Allrecipes.com