This is a great, simple recipe for pork, it works best with loin steaks or chops but you can alter it depending on the cut you want to use. To feed 4 people you will need the following:
4 pork loin steaks
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season.
1) Make some small cuts into and through the trimmed fat surrounding the edge of each pork steak to help it remain flat while cooking and to aid the absorption of the marinade.
2) In a small dish add the honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix together well.
3) Pour this marinade into a flat-bottomed dish and lay the pork onto it, turn it after a while to make sure both sides are well covered then cover with cling film and place into the fridge to marinate – ideally for 2 hours. You can baste the steaks or turn them again during this time if you wish.
4) Heat the vegetable oil in a pan; drain the pork steaks saving the marinade for later and fry over a low to moderate heat for around 6 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the pork steak.
5) Remove from the pan and keep them warm by covering with foil or placing them in a low oven, meanwhile discard any fat from the pan then add the marinade liquid and reduce it slightly before adding the whole grain mustard, stir in well.
6) Season with salt and pepper to taste then pour the sauce over the pork steaks and serve.
This pork dish goes well served with potatoes and vegetables, simply just with Swiss chard, spinach or equally with noodles, it is versatile, quick and really tasty!